Enabling the MxGPS Extension in ArcMap
MxGPS is an ArcMap™ extension. To use the extension, you must enable it in the Extensions dialog box. Open the dialog using the Extensions command from the Tools menu in ArcMap™. The Extensions dialog lists the extensions currently installed on your system. To enable an extension, check the box next to it:
If the extension is already enabled, the box will appear checked:
Enabling an extension does not cause the extension's user interface to appear automatically; it simply enables any controls that the extension provides; you will still need to display the toolbar by choosing it from the Toolbars pullright in the View menu.
Common Connection problems
If you have problems connecting to your GPS, try the following steps:
- Make sure that your GPS is turned on and connected to the computer.
- If you are using a Garmin USB device, make sure that the Garmin USB Drivers have been installed on your computer.
- If another application is using the connection port then it may be unavailable to MxGPS.
- Make sure that your GPS is configured to use the Garmin protocol when transferring data – check your GPS manual for details about how to change this setting.
- Some computers do not reconnect to USB-Serial adapters after returning from sleep mode. To fix this issue remove the USB cable then reconnect it.
USB-Serial Adapter Configuration
If you are using a USB-Serial adapter you can change the COM port setting that the adapter uses to within the range that MxGPS will automatically scan (1-4). To change the port number for the USB-Serial adapter (Windows XP):
- Open the System control panel
- Click on the Hardware tab
- Click the Device Manager button
- Make sure the USB-Serial adapter is plugged-in
- Navigate to the Ports (COM & LPT) node and expand it
- Select your USB-Serial adapter from the list of devices
- Right click on the USB-Serial adapter and select Properties
- Click on the Port Settings tab
- Click the Advanced button
- Change the COM Port Number setting to COM1, COM2, COM3 or COM4
- Click OK for both dialogs
The Device Manager should show the new port setting:
MxGPS has a logging option that creates a log file of the processes that occur. You can set the option to create log files in the preferences - after this has been enabled all actions completed within MxGPS will be documented. This file can be very useful for sorting out issues. To stop logging actions disable the option in the MxGPS preferences.
Contacting Technical Support
If you email technical support, please include the following information:
- The type of hardware you are using (GPS, connection type and computer).
- The operating system you are using (eg. XP, Service Pack 2).
- The exact wording of any messages that appeared on your screen.
- What happened and what you were doing when the problem occurred.
- Set up the Logging option in the preferences and run the same process again. Include the resulting log file as an attachment to the email.
When you have this information email it to: